Rightsize Your Way to a Joy-Filled Retirement Lifestyle
Category News & Blog | Time | Published September 27, 2023
If retirement is the chance to explore the lifestyle you’ve always dreamed of, then rightsizing is the key to setting the stage for a seamless journey.
Whether you’re trading an oversized multi-bedroom house for a thoughtfully designed one-bedroom apartment-home or transitioning from a quiet rural setting to a lively urban environment, rightsizing can help you navigate this next, exciting phase with ease. How? Rightsizing frees you from the excess baggage of a larger home and upkeep, providing newfound freedom, energy and resources to go after the experiences that truly matter.
What Is Rightsizing?
While downsizing is about cutting back on stuff to make life simpler, rightsizing goes beyond decluttering or getting rid of things. Rightsizing is a method to match your living situation with your life’s direction, needs and dreams. By rightsizing, you free yourself from the burden of a bigger home and the chores that come with it.
Rightsizing vs. Downsizing: Decoding the Distinctions
But before you start rightsizing, you do have to tackle downsizing–and the process comes with plenty of perks. If done well, it can be a money-saver that cuts down on bills and makes life simpler. Less stuff means less cleaning and more time for new experiences and doing the things you love. With a smaller space, you’ll have fewer things, making your life more organized and hassle-free.
Ready to start downsizing? Stay organized and focused by assessing your belongings in each room and sorting them into four groups: keep, sell, donate and discard. Be honest about the necessity of the items filling your home and ask questions like: Does this honor a loved one? How does it hold emotional value? When did I last use it? Will it fit in my new home? Can it be replaced? Is it meaningful to my loved ones? Does it align with my lifestyle? Can someone else benefit from it through donation or sale?
- Selling or donating items you no longer need or use can be a great way to pass on your belongings to someone who will use and appreciate them. Consider hosting a garage sale, selling items online or donating to a local charity.
- Identify your current lifestyle requirements and preferences to guide your downsizing journey.
- Consider hanging on to multifunctional furniture and storage solutions to maximize the use of your new space.
- While sentimental items like family heirlooms are meaningful, consider capturing their essence with photos or a memory box.
- Digitize important documents, photos and mementos to save physical space and preserve memories.
- Focus on quality over quantity and surround yourself with items that hold sentimental or practical value.
Recommendations for Removing Downsizing Roadblocks
- Take your time and start early. Giving yourself plenty of time to sort through your stuff and pack things is essential. Don’t rush–take it step by step so you don’t feel overwhelmed.
- Make a game plan. Plan out your move with a timeline, budget and a checklist of tasks. Staying organized and having a plan will help you stay calm and stress-free during the move.
- Get some help. Don’t hesitate to ask for assistance from friends and family. They can lend a hand with packing, cleaning and providing emotional support during the process.
- Hire the pros. Consider hiring professional movers. They can handle everything from decluttering to packing and moving your belongings.
- Think about your new place. Before you start packing, think about the size and layout of your new home. This will help you decide what to keep and what to leave behind.
- Take care of yourself. Moving can be tiring, so be sure to rest, stay hydrated and take breaks as needed to stay energized and focused.
Rightsize to Your Happy Place
The retirement lifestyle of your dreams is within reach—and just minutes from downtown Cedar Rapids. Rightsizing to Cottage Grove Place means all-inclusive senior living that perfectly aligns with your desired lifestyle. Spacious apartment homes without the worry of maintenance. Amenities catered to every need. Multiple dining spaces and chef-prepared meals. Gracious hospitality and convenient services. Comprehensive fitness and wellness opportunities. Meaningful connections and the assurance you’ll be ready for future care needs.
Contact us to learn how to make Cottage Grove your happy place.
Featured Image: LightField Studios / Shutterstock
< Back to All News & Blog
November 20, 2023 • News & Blog
Conversations With Cottage Grove: Insights Into Our Happy Place for Assisted Living Residents
Kayla Duggan knows a thing or two about senior assisted living and how it provides older adults with just the right amount of support they need to
May 25, 2023 • News & Blog
Senior Pet Project? Consider All the Aspects of Pet Ownership Before Taking That Particular Walk
You would be hard pressed to find someone whose day is not made better by an encounter with a lively pup or a frisky kitty. But owning and caring for
December 29, 2020 • News & Blog
What Residents Say About Cottage Grove Place
What Sharon Says: "My first connection with Cottage Grove Place was in 1996 when it first opened. My mother moved in at the time of the opening. The